May 23, 2012

Butter Chicken


This recipe has become a favorite at my house.  I often visited Indian buffets when I worked in Indianapolis and West Lafayette, and my favorite dish was always the butter chicken.  Alas, there are no Indian restaurants where I live now, so I figured I had learn to make it myself.  I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and with the help of a few recommendations in the comments section, this dish is even better than the ones I had at the restaurants.

The changes I made to the original recipe are minor, but definitely add to the success of the dish.  The original recipe calls for cornstarch to thicken the sauce, but I read that it is traditional to use ground cashews as a thickening agent.  I also use a combination of thighs and breasts, instead of just thighs.  The addition of cashews is what puts this recipe over the top.  They elevate the flavor and add a nice consistency and texture to the sauce that the cornstarch can't compete with.

The ingredients list is long, but the butter chicken is not very difficult to make.  It is all about building flavors.  The smells of the warm, rich, comforting spices that permeate the house when I am making this dish is second to none.  There is some heat, flavor-wise, but that can be adjusted by the amount of cayenne you decide to add.  Be your own chef!  If the flavor is good, I can handle a little heat, and believe me the flavor is good in this dish.

Butter Chicken
Printable Recipe

Ingredients
For the sauce:
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/4 white onion, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste, recipe follows
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 cup half-and-half
1 cup tomato puree
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pinch salt
1 pinch black pepper
1/4 cup finely ground cashews

For the chicken:
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 pinch cayenne pepper

Directions
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Saute shallot and onion until soft and translucent. Stir in butter, lemon juice, ginger-garlic paste, garam masala, chili powder, cumin and bay leaf. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in half-and-half and yogurt. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.

Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat, and season with 1 teaspoon garam masala and cayenne. Stir in a few spoonfuls of sauce, and simmer until liquid has reduced, and chicken is cooked through. Stir cooked chicken and cashews into the sauce. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until thickened.

Ginger-Garlic Paste:
1/2 cup cloves garlic
1/2 cup fresh ginger
1/4 cup canola oil

Combine garlic, ginger, and canola oil in a mini-food processor and process until it forms a semi-smooth paste.  Excess can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment