May 3, 2012

Banana Cream Pie


I had never made banana cream pie before, and when I saw this recipe, I figured now was the perfect time.  I liked the fact that this recipe called for tofu, as I have had success with tofu based pies in the past. 

This recipe did pose some problems though.  It looks short and sweet, but some important details are lacking.  My initial confusion came from the ingredient listing '1/2 Honey or Maple Syrup'.  I wasn't sure what measurement the '1/2' referred to, so I used 1/2 cup.  Looking back, that may have been a bit much, but it did not negatively affect the overall flavor of the pie.

I also used silken tofu, which is the tofu I used for the other tofu based pies I have made.  The silken tofu resulted in a very loose pie, so I will most likely opt for firm or very firm tofu in the future, so the pie will set up better.  One last thing I would do differently would be to add lemon juice to the pie to prevent the bananas from browning as quickly.  I made the pie in the morning, and by the time we cut into it in the afternoon, the filling almost looked like melted milk chocolate.  Not very visually appealing for bananas.

The overall pie experience wasn't all bad, though.  The pie has a wonderful flavor and is light and refreshing.  A perfect dessert on a warm spring or summer day.  I will take what I learned from this first experience and try again.  The flavor is there, I just need to work on the aesthetics.


Banana Cream Pie
Printable Recipe

Ingredients
1 pound firm tofu
2 or 3 ripe bananas
1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
Vanilla (optional)
1 baked pie crust

Directions
Slice a banana and place on the bottom of the pie crust in a single layer.  Combine the tofu, bananas, honey and vanilla in a blender and mix until smooth.  Pour mixture into pie crust and refrigerate until set.  Add whipped cream, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment