May 17, 2012

Beef or Lamb with Rice


This recipe peaked my interest because it looked so simple.  At the same time it was also something different; familiar ingredients brought together in a new way.  Preparing it was a cinch since we had all the ingredients on hand; I opted for the beef instead of lamb. 

The recipe is very straightforward and the only thing that took much time was waiting for the meat to get tender.  As I was finishing the meal, it started to remind me visually of another family favorite in our house, butter chicken.  Flavor-wise, they are totally different, but I guess it was just because it was a sauced meat served on a bed of rice.

I was very impressed with the flavor of this dish.  The meat was tender and juicy and the tomato sauce gave it a deep rich flavor.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it!  I used my bread to sop up the leftover sauce on my plate so I could savor every last drop.  Sometimes simple is better as this recipe proves, and I am looking forward to trying it with the lamb.



Beef (or Lamb) with Rice
Printable Recipe

Serves 4 to 6
Ingredients
2 lbs. Beef or Lamb (from leg)
1 cup Rice
1 large Onion, sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 can Tomato Paste
1 cup warm water

Instructions
Have meat cut into small cubes as for stew. Pour oil in hot skillet; heat. Brown meat slightly for about 8 minutes. Add onion; cover; simmer 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add salt and pepper. Blend tomato paste in cup warm water; add to meat. Cover; simmer about 45 minutes or until tender.

In the meantime, cook rice about 20 minutes in 2 quarts boiling water to which 1/2 teaspoon of salt has been added. Drain in colander; rinse with cup of cold water. Keep hot by placing colander over pot of boiling water.

Arrange rice on hot platter, leaving space in center. Place meat in hollow; pour sauce over meat. Serve very hot.

3 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you would like to put up a link to this nice beef recipe in my Food on Friday Series. This week the ingredient is beef.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for linking in - I've put the title in for you, no worries!

      Delete