June 6, 2012

Yum-Yums



There was always a Tupperware container full of yum-yums on the kitchen table during the summer days I spent at Nonna and Grandpa's.  At least that's how I remember it.  The harvest orange container with a white lit constantly beckoned.  I ate my fair share of yum-yums growing up, but this is the first time I have made them myself.

I helped Grandpa make them once or twice, I remember him telling me to get every last bit of peanut butter out of the jar.  He warned that Nonna would bring him the jar from the trash if it failed to meet her standards.  Waste not want not, I suppose.  I made sure to take a rubber spatula to my peanut better jar; Grandpa's point was not lost on me.

There is no baking involved in preparing the yum-yums, but the stove top or microwave needs to be utilized.  I opted to melt everything on the stove, and the process is relatively quick and quite simple.  In no time at all, I was spreading the chocolate butterscotch blend over the rice crispy mixture, and into the refrigerator it went.

The next day the yum-yums were ready to cut, but not before I took the giant 10x15 yum-yum to show the kids and pretend to eat it.  The tip to twist the pan to free the solid mass is definitely one to utilize.  I then cut the brick of chocolaty peanut buttery goodness into 1 inch squares.  Next time, I may let the mixture come to room temperature a bit because the chocolate cracked a little as I was cutting the squares.

These little delights hold true to their name, yum yum!  The soft chocolate layer leading to the peanut butter crunch of the crispy rice bottom is a treat for the senses.  The butterscotch adds a subtle change to the traditional chocolate flavor that is nice, as well.  A perfect little sweet bite.

I also think I know why there were always yum-yums on the table; one batch makes a lot!  Valerie took most of them to a school function, and we were still left with more than enough at home.  Not that I'm complaining, they were eaten and enjoyed by all.  Not a single one made it back from the school, either; I think they were a hit.



Yum-Yum Cookies

To 6 cups Rice Krispies
add the heated mixture of
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup corn syrup, light
1 18 oz. jar peanut butter, smooth
and blend smoothly to coat all of the cereal

Spread as uniformly possible in a 10x15x1 pan.  Mixture is easier to press down with a plastic spatula.

Melt together
1 12 oz. package chocolate chips
1 12 oz. package butterscotch chips
over a low heat, stirring to blend.

Spread this mix over crispy mix in pan.  Cool in refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
Twist pan to free the mix.  Place on cutting board - cut about 1"x1" squares.  Makes about 80 cookies. 
(Store in frig - to keep the chocolate firm)

2 comments:

  1. Great Luke! It's neat to see the corrections made on the original recipe card. Do you think it's Nonna's writing over Grandpa's original? Or Grandpa in both cases?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some of the annotations were written by Nonna, Eva. There is another Yum-Yums recipe card that says "From: Shirley Raver 12/90" written in Grandpa's handwriting. If this is how he got the recipe, I'm surprised it wasn't until 1990. It seems like he made them before then in my mind.

    ReplyDelete