December 7, 2012

Old-Fashioned Sugar Squares


I had some trouble with this recipe.  Not that it was difficult, it was that the end result didn't taste the way I thought it should.  The first time I made it, the squares were bland and unsatisfying.  They weren't really very sweet, either.  They probably would have worked well as a vehicle for something else, like a shortcake with strawberries and cream.  I looked at the ingredients and knew the potential was there for a tasty treat.  The buttermilk should add a little tang, the ginger should add a little kick, so I tried again.

The second time I made this, the squares didn't fare much better.  I sprinkled coarse sugar on top instead of granulated, thinking the change in texture would be a nice touch, along with some extra sweetness.  These bars were a little better, but I was still left wanting more.

I then noticed on one of the handwritten cards, there was the addition of vanilla extract, with almond extract also listed as optional.  Maybe I wasn't the only one who thought the original recipe needed a bit more in the flavor department. 

To my next batch I added just the vanilla extract, plus the addition of salt since I was using unsalted butter.  The results were wonderful.  The squares had much more flavor and were just was I was hoping for all along.  They were soft on the inside, while the sugar topping added a nice little crunch.  Plus, I usually have all these ingredients on hand, so these are a nice simple treat to whip up in a hurry.




Old-Fashioned Sugar Squares
Printable Recipe

1 cup soft butter or margarine
1 1/4 cups sugar, separated
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
2 tablespoons buttermilk

Cream butter with one cup sugar. Add eggs and beat until light. Add sifted dry ingredients and buttermilk and mix well. Spread in greased 15 x 10 x 1-inch pan, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Bake in hot oven, 400 degrees about 20 minutes. Cool and cut into 24 squares.

1 comment:

  1. I have been looking for this recipe for a long time thank you :)

    ReplyDelete