April 25, 2011

Nonna's Pizza

I am still thrilled that Eva sent me this recipe, even though it has been over a year ago.  The post I did on latent chestnut best describes what this pizza means to me, and there is not much left for me to say.  One thing I didn't do was share the recipe on latent chestnut and I am more than happy to do it here on Family Tree-Eats.  I absolutely love this recipe, and I have made it many times for family and friends over the last 12 months. 

If anyone has any memories or stories they would like to share about Nonna's pizza, I would love to hear them.  Please feel free to leave them in the comments section, or just e-mail me!








Nonna's Pizza

Ingredients
2 cups lukewarm water
2 1/2 tablespoons baking yeast
1/2 teaspoon onion powder or garlic salt
4 1/2 cups flour

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a large mixing bowl, combine water, yeast, onion powder/garlic salt, and flour, and stir until combined.  Flour board and knead dough.  Put olive oil in bottom of new bowl, put in kneaded dough.  Seran wrap it and then put a towel on top of that.  Leave until doubled in size.  Then, knead dough again and cut in half.

Spread dough into two 14x2 inch round pizza tins.  Add cheese on top of dough, then sauce.  Put grated parmesan on top.  Put on toppings and bake for 25 minutes.

*Note*
I remember Nonna's pizza had a whole wheat crust and Aunt Mare told me she used a mixture of whole wheat and all purpose flour.  I do not know what ratio she used, but I find that 3 cups of all purpose flour and 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour makes a delicious crust. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Luke! I remember Nonna (Mom to me!) would make this pizza most Friday nights and the only time we were allowed Coke to drink with supper. She didn't think milk really went with pizza, and we all agreed with her!
    I also remember her making this pizza for us whenever we had slumber parties, at all hours of the night! All the kids wanted Mom to be their mom!!
    Another memory: She would get the pizzas out of the oven a few minutes before their time was really up for us that liked the crust really soft and the cheese really melted but not yet crisp. Then she would put the rest back in the oven for the rest of the family and friends that liked it a little more done. What a fantastic mother and cook she was!!

    ReplyDelete