July 18, 2012

Easy Zucchini Pie


Zucchini abounds in the summer here in Indiana.  I just finished a piece of zucchini bread, as a matter of fact.  It seems every time I turn around, someone is offering me a zucchini (or 10) from their garden.  Even as the drought and heat wave push on, it seems the zucchini plants have weathered the blow.

So far on Family Tree-Eats, I have posted recipes for zucchini casserole and zucchini bread, and that is about the extent of my zucchini making prowess.  Though grilled zucchini is quite delicious, brushed with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.  When I saw this recipe for zucchini pie, I knew I had to try it once my zucchini cup began to runneth over.

I made this recipe even easier because I wanted the pie to be green.  I didn't peel the zucchini, nor did I take out the seeds because they were so small in the zucchini I had.  I also didn't boil the zucchini before blending with the other ingredients.  I pretty much ignored the first couple of lines on the recipe card, which didn't hurt the outcome of the pie one bit.

As far as the rest of assembly, it couldn't be easier.  Just blend, pour and bake.  Making the pie crust was the most difficult part.  I had to bake mine for about 35 minutes once I turned the oven down to 350 degrees, but that may have been because I didn't boil the zucchini before baking.

Besides the novelty of being green, this is one of the best pies I have made in a long time.   I sent some home with Julie and some with Angela and within a few hours I had a couple texts asking me for the recipe.  The pie is light, has a nice soft texture, and it delicately sweet.  It is reminiscent of sugar cream pie, but not nearly as rich.  A perfect summer pie.




Easy Zucchini Pie

1 cup zucchini
1 cup sugar
1 cup Milnot milk
1 egg
1 1/2 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon vanilla

Peel zucchini and cut into pieces removing seeds and boil until tender.  Put all above in blender and blend well.  Pour into unbaked pie shell.  Sprinkle top of unbaked pie with cinnamon.  Bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes, then 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until knife comes out clean.  Do not over bake.  Allow pie to cool completely before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment