April 7, 2011

Alphabet Soup


I can still picture Nonna stirring a pot of alphabet soup on the stove as I anxiously waited for it to be ready.  As I watched her ladle the hot soup into a Corelle bowl, I could not wait to dig in.  She took the bowl to the counter, added a pat of butter, and served it to us piping hot.  She always told us to eat from around the edges of the bowl first because it would be cooler.  I never learned, though; as I almost always burnt my tongue.

Alphabet soup is a food memory I wanted to try to recreate for my kids, as well as take me back to my childhood.  I didn't have a recipe, and I don't know if Nonna did either, but I it seemed simple enough to make, and it actually is.  I think Nonna used a chicken bouillon cube to flavor the soup, and I use chicken stock, preferably homemade.  The kids love it as much as I did, but they are smart enough to let it cool before they eat it.  In fact, Ari usually eats more than I do, and still asks for more.  Here is my recipe; I only hope it would make Nonna proud.

Alphabet Soup
Printable Recipe

Ingredients
4 cups good quality chicken stock
2 cups water
Salt to taste
8 oz. alphabet noodles
Butter

Directions
In a large saucepan, combine the water and chicken stock and bring to a simmer.  Add salt to taste until the broth reaches your desired flavor.  Add alphabet noodles and cook until tender, about 7 minutes.  Once noodles are ready, immediately ladle into bowls and add a small pat of butter.  The soup can also be served with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

---

1 comment: