May 19, 2011

Corn Pancakes


It was always an exciting time when Grandpa got out the electric griddle to make corn pancakes.  I don't think there was a time he made them without us gathering around the kitchen table to watch.  He always knew just when to flip them, perfectly golden brown every time followed by two pats of the spatula on the pancake.  They were always delicious and I liked to eat them as they were, without syrup or any other toppings.

I did not find a recipe when I was looking through the box of Nonna and Grandpa's recipe cards, but I know he always used Jiffy Corn Muffin mix.  Lo and behold, there is a corn pancake recipe on the side of the Jiffy box.  I decided to try that recipe feeling confident that is the one Grandpa used.  He always added corn to the batter as well, which was a nice touch.

The pancake batter comes together very quickly and easily.  I fit about six pancakes on my griddle and found that they cooked rather quickly.  Once I got the hang of it, they were ready in no time and I couldn't help but give the pancakes two pats with the spatula after every flip.  They tasted just like I remember them, so delicious.  The pancakes were light, fluffy, and a had wonderful corn flavor.  I still prefer them plain, but I did enjoy one with a little honey on it.  They were quite a treat and brought back a lot of memories. 

Corn Pancakes

Ingredients
1 package Jiffy Corn Muffin mix
1 egg
2 tablespoons shortening
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup corn

Directions
Preheat griddle and lightly grease.  Combine all ingredients and stir to combine.  Batter will be slightly lumpy.  Cook on hot griddle and turn when bubbles appear around the edges.

2 comments:

  1. Luke, Thanks for posting Grandpa's recipe - the photos go right along with your dp poem "The Unseen Gift"! http://ditalinipress.blogspot.com/2008/10/unseen-gift.html

    ReplyDelete