April 14, 2011

Liver and Mushroom Kabob


In February, Aunt Sue emailed Eva and I a list of dates in which Nonna had recipes printed in the Kokomo Tribune.  So, I loaded the family into the car and headed to the library to do some research.  We made our way down to the Genealogy department where a librarian showed us to the microfilm machine.  She asked me if I was looking for an obituary; I politely told her no, I was looking for recipes.  She smiled and led us to the machine.

As it turnes out, The Kokomo Tribune held an annual recipe contest in autumn, and there was a section of prize-winning recipes in several categories.  I was able to find five recipes that were submitted by Nonna.  I may have missed some in the first year that I checked because I didn't realize the format, and I didn't want to bother the librarian to get the film out again.

One recipe caught my eye right off the bat, Liver and Mushroom Kabob.  It was the third prize winner in the 'Lazy Daizies' category.  The recipe was published in the September 22, 1968 Kokomo Tribune.  I am a fan of liver, though I had never prepared it, myself.  Valerie was a bit more tentative, so we decided to make it on a Friday night with Ang and Michael and also prepare some kabobs with chicken instead of liver. 

The kabobs were easy to assemble and tasted great!  I preferred them over the chicken kabobs.  The liver and the onions were a perfect combination, as the onions gave off a hint of sweetness.  The mushrooms were firm and juicy which provided a nice contrast in texture.  In the future, I would like to prepare a sauce to accompany them, because they were a bit on the dry side.  Nevertheless, a prize-winning recipe, to be certain. 

Liver and Mushroom Kabob

1 pound calves liver
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 sliced onion
1/2 pound mushrooms
1 teaspoon fresh mint, chopped
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
Have liver sliced 1-inch thick.  Cut into 2-inch squares.  Clean and remove stems from mushrooms.
Alternate a piece of liver, a mushroom cap, and a slice of onion on 8 skewers until all the ingredients are used.
Mix oil, vinegar and mint thoroughly.  Brush over liver and mushrooms on both sides.  Place on broiler rack about 5 inches below flame.  Broil 3 minutes on each side or until light brown.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Brush with remaining liquid.  Broil 1 minute longer and remove from skewers or serve on skewers.  Serve sizzling hot.  Serves 4.

4 comments:

  1. Luke - Thanks for going to the library to find this Nonna recipe! Did you happen to know that this is National Library Week - we are in the Miracle Zone again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Sue, I did not know about National Library Week. We are in the Miracle Zone, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! Hey, do you by chance have Grandpa's recipe for zucchini casserole? I loved when he used to make that! :-)

    Nedra

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do have the recipe, Nedra. It is on my list of recipe to post once zucchini is in season. I could send it to you now, if you'd like. Just let me know!

    ReplyDelete