June 27, 2012

Zucchini Bread


Nothing says summer like garden fresh zucchini.  Well, maybe watermelon, but that's another post.  I have had my own zucchini bread recipe for years, but I decided to try this one to see if it would evoke memories from my childhood.  And boy, did it ever.

Like I mentioned, I have a recipe for zucchini bread that I make once or twice per year, but there was something about making this bread that took me back to the summers of my childhood.  I don't know if it was the look, the smell, or maybe a combination of the two that transported me back.  Even as I was making it, it felt like I had done it before, even though this is the first time I have used this particular recipe.  It's hard to describe, but it was pretty neat.

This bread is not as sweet as the recipe I use, but it is very tasty.  Much like any other quick bread, it is soft and satisfying.  I omitted the nuts and raisins because I didn't have any suitable nuts on hand, and in my opinion, raisins are always optional.  Their absence didn't take away from the appeal of the bread with the delicate flavor of the zucchini complimented by the subtle spice of cinnamon.

I don't know if this version of zucchini bread is better than the one I have used in years past, but it has something the other one doesn't, it takes me back in time.  If I ever want to revisit those magical summer days, I know the vehicle to take me there.


Zucchini Bread
Printable Recipe

Ingredients
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups peeled, grated zucchini
1/2 cup nuts
1/2 cup raisins
3 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Directions
Beat eggs until light and fluffy.  Add oil, sugar, zucchini and vanilla.  Sift flour, salt soda, cinnamon, and baking powder together.  Add to first mixture.  Mix until blended.  Add nuts and raisins.  Pour into two oiled loaf pans. 
Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment