April 19, 2012

Hamburger Potato Pie


I've had bags and boxes of family recipes for a long time, and spent several weeks scanning them all into my computer, as I've mentioned before.  The problem was easily accessing the recipes so I really knew what I had and could plan what to make.  It was cumbersome to shuffle through the recipes in the box and it always seemed like I was looking at the same recipes over and over.  The laptop was a little better, but it's bulky and I didn't want to print the recipe I was going to use, and it took up a lot of counter space if I took it into the kitchen with me. 

Enter, the iPad.  I had the idea to transfer all the scanned recipes onto my iPad and it has proven to be most helpful.  It is like carrying around a digital cookbook, and it doesn't take up much more room on the counter than a recipe card would.  Ah, technology.  Since I transferred the images, I have been trying more and more recipes.  Hence, more posts on Family Tree-Eats!

Hamburger Potato Pie caught my eye as a nice dinner option for the family.  It's hard to go wrong with meat and potatoes and this recipe proved that point.  Simple to make and with not a lot of clean up.  It reminded me of cottage pie, with a little bit of a meatloaf flavor.  Very tasty and the leftovers reheated well.  I definitely see this as a recipe to revisit.


Hamburger Potato Pie

Printable Recipe

Ingredients
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup cooked, drained peas
1 3/4 cup crushed canned tomatoes
2/3 cup catsup
3 cups hot mashed potatoes
1 egg, beaten

Instructions
Saute onion in butter or margarine. Add meat and seasonings. Cook until meat is browned. Add peas, tomatoes, and catsup. Mix well. Pour into greased casserole (2 quart). Combine mashed potatoes and egg. Spoon mounds of potatoes onto meat mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment