April 13, 2012

Chocolate Pistachio Cake



I first had this cake as a teenager.  I think my mom was reminiscing about recipes from her childhood and she remembered this cake.  She talked about how much she liked it, so much so, that she found the recipe and baked one!  I enjoyed it to, and I baked this cake a few times, myself.  I hadn't made this cake since I moved out of my mom's house, but seeing the recipe again inspired me to make one for my kids.

The recipe is very simple with the inclusion of a box cake mix.  I used yellow cake, since that is what I remember doing in the past, but I'm sure white cake would be delicious as well.  The recipe doesn't specify what size of pudding mix to use, so I just went with the smaller option.  The rest of the recipe is very straightforward, and comes together easily.

I think the most interesting part of the recipe is the chocolate syrup.  It lends a lot of moisture to the cake and gives it a unique chocolaty flavor that isn't found in other cakes I have made.  Since the syrup is only added to a quarter of the batter, is also makes that part of the batter heavier, creating a neat design inside the cake as it is baking.  Plus, the green and brown colors are fun to see visually in a cake.

I do not know the origins of this recipe, but I am glad I have it.  It is moist, delicious, and visually whimsical.  The kids enjoyed it, too, so I see this cake being requested again in the future.


Chocolate Pistachio Cake

Printable Recipe

Ingredients
1 package white or yellow cake mix
Pistachio pudding mix (Royal)
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup water
4 Eggs
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup chocolate syrup

Directions
Combine all ingredients except the chocolate syrup and mix thoroughly. Pour about 3/4 of the batter into a well-greased and floured bundt pan. Add chocolate syrup to remaining batter. Mix well. Pour over batter in pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan, cool on wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment