April 4, 2012

Buttermilk Herb Bread


As I was scanning recipes into my computer, this one was visually the most interesting.  It was folded several times, and seems as if the slightest tug would rip it.  As I was unfolding it some of the inner folds, I found flour that had been trapped in some of the creases.  Needless to say, I had to be very delicate with this piece of paper, and it looks as if it has seen a lot of use.

The bread itself was fairly easy to make, quite reminiscent of pizza dough.  My neighbor gave me access to her herb garden, so I was able to use fresh parley and chives.  I also had an onion on hand, so I chopped some up and added it as well.  The dill seed, though, is what really adds a flavor punch to this bread.

This recipe makes two loaves, and it was the first time I have ever had to braid bread.  I actually have never braided anything, so I enlisted Valerie to teach me.  She braided the first loaf so fast, I didn't have time to see what she did.  On the second loaf, she suddenly forgot how she did the first!  By the time we finally got the second one braided, I was more confused than ever, but at least it was done, and I still don't know how to braid.

The bread is delicious.  Soft and dense, with lots of flavor.  Very good right out of the oven with a little butter.  It also holds up well for a few days after baking, preferably toasted.


Buttermilk Herb Bread
Ingredients
2 packages yeast or 2 1/2 tablespoons powdered
5 - 5 3/4 cups unsifted flour (unbleached)
1/4 cup salad oil
1/2 cup chopped chives or onions
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 cup lukewarm water
1 1/4 cup buttermilk (warmed)
1/2 cup chopped parsley or 1/4 cup dried
1 tablespoon dill seed


Instructions
In large mixer bowl dissolve yeast in water, add 2 cups flour, buttermilk, oil, sugar, salt; beat at low speed until moistened. Increase speed to medium, add herbs and mix well. Add 3 1/2 cups flour - knead approximately 5 minutes. Let dough rise in greased bowl for 1 hour.

Grease two long cookie sheets. Punch dough down. Divide in half - then each half into 3 pieces. Roll each piece into a 14 inch long rope - braid 3 pieces into a loaf. Bake in 350 degree oven 35-40 minutes.

Mm mm - Good!

2 comments:

  1. Luke - It is so nice to see this recipe hand-written by Grandpa with a notation by Nonna. And your photo is sublime! Do you know if this is the recipe that Nonna used to make her Teddy Bear Bread?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Aunt Sue. This is not the Teddy Bear Bread recipe, but I do have it (with illustrations!). It is definitely high on my list of recipes to try, so look for it soon!

    ReplyDelete