July 25, 2012

Tart Lemon Squares


I knew this recipe had to be good before I even made it.  I have several recipe cards written in Nonna's handwriting in the same format.  Oven temperature in the upper left, pan size in the upper right, a dotted line separating the ingredient columns.  It was like she was just ready to pass out the cards when she made this decadent dessert because she knew people would be asking for the recipe.  It makes me wonder how many cards she wrote like this.

Angela has been making lemon squares for years, and they are one of my favorite sweet treats, but she does not use this recipe.  At every summer family get-together, I always ask her to make them.  My mom also told me that she used this recipe to make lemon squares for Tupperware parties she hosted (along with toffee squares) and they were always a hit.  I was a bit nervous to make them myself, but I really wanted to try my hand at this recipe.

I don't know if the person who first made lemon squares knew what they were doing, or if was just a happy accident, but it always felt like I was doing something wrong when I was making them.  First of all, the bottom crust is so crumbly before pressing it into the bottom of the pan, it doesn't seem like it should hold together at all.  Then, the lemon mixture is so thin, and pouring it onto an already baked crust, it didn't seem like it would set.  When I took the concoction out of the oven, the mixture had set, but the top was a white color that didn't look normal to me.  Wanting to see it through to the end, I sprinkled the top with confectioner's sugar and waited for it to cool.

Thankfully, my fears were unwarranted.  As I cut the squares and pulled out the first sample, it looked just like a lemon square should.  Even better, it tasted good, too!  The soft, tart, custardy topping with the tender buttery crust is a wonderful combination.  It makes it hard to eat just one, so I didn't.  No wonder Nonna had a supply of handwritten lemon square recipes at her disposal.  If she had brought these to a party I was at, I would be the first in line asking her for the recipe.


Tart Lemon Squares 
Printable Recipe

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons flour
3 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
Grated rind of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 1 large or 2 small lemons)

Combine butter, confectioners' sugar, and one cup of the flour in food processor.  Process until blended.  Pat dough into even layer on bottom of 9-inch square baking pan.  Bake dough at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. 

Meanwhile, combine eggs, granulated sugar, lemon rind, lemon juice and remaining three tablespoons of flour in food processor.  Process until well mixed.  Pour lemon mixture over hot crust.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes longer - until firm.  Cool on rack.  Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar while warm.  Cut in squares when cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment