July 6, 2011

Amaretti


Crispy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside, these amaretti are a real treat.  The almond flavor is wonderful in these macaroons as well.  A delicate and delightful little cookie.

In order to make them, I had to do some deciphering in order to put together the finished product.  On the recipe card, it calls for "1/4 shelled blanched almonds", and I didn't know what measurement to use for the "1/4".  Since it calls for 1/2 pound of sugar, I decided to use 1/4 of almonds.  That measurement made the most sense to me. 

The next hurdle was the oven temperature.  Since the recipe states to bake the amaretti in a moderate oven, I chose to bake them at 350 degrees.  The recipes also says that they will bake in 5 minutes, which was not long enough for this batch.  I ended up baking them for about 15 or 20 minutes until they were light brown.

The amaretti turned out well.  I have never had them before, so I did not have a point of reference as to what they should be like.  I think this is a recipe that I will have to play around with before I find the perfect way to make them.  The flavor was wonderful, so I will revisit these again.  If anyone has any suggestions or knows the correct measurements and baking temperature, I would love to know!


Amaretti   (Macaroons)
Makes about 1 doz.

1/2 lb. Sugar
1/4 shelled blanched Almonds
1/4 t Almond extract
2 egg whites

Chop and pulverize almonds; mix thoroughly with half of sugar and extract.

Beat egg whites until very stiff.  Add balance of sugar; beat again.  Add almond mixture; mix thoroughly.  Shape into balls or cookies about 2 inches in diameter.  Place on greased cookie pan about 1 inch apart.  Bake in moderate oven about 5 min. or until light brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment