June 23, 2011

Funghi Imbottite


I love mushrooms, so when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to make these funghi imbottite.  Although this was in the stack of family recipes Aunt Joan gave me, I do not remember ever eating these.  It's too bad, too, because they are delicious!

This recipe is very simple to prepare and the stuffing comes together very quickly.  I used freshly greated Parmesan for the cheese, and dried parsley because I didn't have any fresh on hand.  I had some stuffing left over, but I guess the amount needed depends on how big the mushrooms are.  I may have filled them a bit too much because I didn't account for the mushrooms shrinking as they cooked.  I baked them at 350 degrees for about twenty minutes.

The stuffed mushrooms were very tasty.  The slight crunch of the golden brown stuffing and the buttery softness the inside matched with the firm yet tender meat of the mushroom was a magical combination.  The flavors of the garlic and onion were subtle but not bland, and the saltiness of the cheese was present as well.  Served with a salad, this makes for a wonderful summertime meal.


Funghi Imbottite (Stuffed Mushrooms)
Printable Recipe
Serves 4 or 6.

1 Lb. lg. mushrooms
3 T grated Cheese
1 clove Garlic, chopped
1 sm onion, chopped
1 C bread crumbs
1 T chopped parsley
2 T melted butter
6 T Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Clean and remove stems from mushrooms.  Mix thoroughly bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, butter, garlic, onion, salt and pepper.  Fill mushroom caps.
Pour 2 T of oil in bottom of baking pan.  Place mushrooms in pan, stuffed side up.  Pour balance of oil equally over all mushrooms.  Bake about 20 min. in medium oven.  When mushrooms are tender and tops brown, remove from oven.  Serve very hot.

1 comment: