October 2, 2012

Moo-Less Chocolate Pie


Little did I know, my favorite chocolate pie I have been making for years is eerily similar to Aunt Sue's Incredibly Creamy Chocolate Pie I ate as a kid.  Although I remember her using carob in the filling, and I have only used chocolate to make this pie.  Still, resemblances remain, and I can't get enough of this pie.

This recipe first appeared on the "Tofuworld" episode of Good Eats back in 2001, and it's safe to say I have been making it ever since.  The semi-sweet chocolate chips allow the pie to be rich, while not too sweet, and the coffee liqueur adds a wonderful kick and depth of flavor.  Plus, the simplicity of the recipe makes it that much more appealing.

My one issue with this recipe is that it calls for 13 ounces of chocolate chips.  Seriously?  A standard bag of chocolate chips has 12 ounces.  I'm not going to buy another bag of chocolate chips just for one ounce.  So, I usually just use 12 ounces unless I have extra on hand, and I don't notice a difference.  I know that may sound trivial, but it has been bothering me for 10 years!

I'm glad I didn't let the 13 ounce anomaly stop me.  This pie is delicious as is, or with a little dollop of whipped cream; although, then it wouldn't be 'moo-less'.  Then again, what's wrong with a little 'moo' every once in a while?


Moo-Less Chocolate Pie
Printable recipe

Ingredients
13 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup coffee liqueur
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound silken tofu, drained
1 tablespoon honey

1 (9-inch) prepared chocolate wafer crust, recipe follows

Directions
Pour 1 inch of water into a saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Melt the chocolate chips with the liqueur and vanilla in a medium metal bowl set over the simmering water, stirring often. Combine the chocolate mixture, tofu and honey in a blender and mix until smooth. Pour the filling into the crust and refrigerate overnight.

Chocolate Wafer Crust:
6 1/2 ounces chocolate wafer cookies
1 tablespoon sugar
3 ounces unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Combine cookies and sugar in a food processor and process until fine crumbs appear. Add the butter, pulsing to combine. Firmly press this mixture evenly into the bottom and up the sides a 9-inch metal pie pan. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely before filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment